[Disclosure: I received the Staedtler 48 Colored Pencils Set mentioned in this article at no charge in exchange for writing a product review.]
I found Staedtler Colored Pencils to be a superb value. Here’s a basic set of colored pencils in a beautiful array of colors. These pencils are durable enough to last through many art projects and offer another big plus: the triangular barrels are so comfortable to grip I felt no pressure on my fingers.
The sets are in a lower price range similar to student level sets, yet they perform to the expectations of pricier artist quality sets. The 48 color set sells for between $9.68 and $16.98 online (Product No. 1270 C48A6). The pencils come in a flat cardboard box with two plastic grooved trays that hold 24 pencils each.
Great Performance and Versatility
- Wood barrels with 02.9 mm color core
- Ergonomic triangular shaped barrels feel great in the hand. They’re easy to grip, your fingers won't cramp, and the pencils don’t roll away
- The colors have consistently rich pigmentation, unlike many student sets that have faint or uneven pigmentation
- The brilliant colors are soft and blendable. They color smoothly, layer nicely, and burnish well
- The pencils are easy to sharpen. There is no lead “fall out,” chipping, or flaking. The leads hold a sharp tip and are durable enough to use for fine lines and details
- The colors are vivid and clear and provide good coverage on a variety of surfaces, including smooth, medium, and rough toothed papers
- Because they layer well, the range of colors can be broadened through visual mixes
The 48 color set includes a full range of light to dark primaries and secondary colors: reds, yellows, blues, oranges, greens, and purples. There are also some pastel hues and several warm and cool neutrals.
I found that occasionally the color of a barrel does not match the color of its lead. In a few cases the color of a lead is so much like the color of another lead in the set that it’s difficult to see the difference — even though the barrel colors differ. The barrels have no color names or numbers on them. I wrapped tape around the barrels and wrote names on the tape to help me identify colors. This is a small "drawback" though.
The Staedtler 48 Colored Pencils set proves to be fine value for the price. I would recommend this set to any beginning or experienced artist.
A Staedtler Giveaway and More [CONTEST IS CLOSED]
Staedtler has kindly offered to give a 48 Colored Pencils Set to one lucky winner! To enter, simply sign up on the "For Color Lovers" email list. If you are already on the list there's nothing more you need to do — you are entered automatically!
To sweeten the Giveaway, I’ve created 3 levels of prizes. In addition to the colored pencils set, the first place winner will also receive a Textile Designs Coloring Book, and a Creative Cats Sticker Book. Second and third place winners each will receive a Textile Designs Coloring Book and Creative Cats Sticker Book, too. Please see Giveaway Contest Rules below. Thanks for participating and good luck.!
Giveaway Contest Rules: Eligible only for residents of the U.S.A. or Canada. Entries must be received by 11:59 p.m. PDT, July 17, 2016. Winners will be drawn at random from my email list on July 18, 2016, and notified by email promptly thereafter. If winner(s) don’t respond by July 24 prizes will be awarded to alternate persons at my discretion. [CONTEST IS CLOSED]